top of page

Well, you could say that Christmas didn't quite go according to plan ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ™‰

Updated: Jan 2, 2023

Firstly let me tell you what I learned from this experience ๐Ÿ‘‡

๐Ÿ‘‰ Do not fight what is out of your control

๐Ÿ‘‰ Take enjoyment from other people's joy

๐Ÿ‘‰ My wife is a rock star

๐Ÿ‘‰ Oh - The Beast is called The Beast for a reason!! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Let me tell you what happened ๐Ÿ‘‡

With my wife Novy and our neighbours, we had 50 guests coming for Xmas lunch. We were super excited to be hosting what has become an annual event between us.

One of my jobs is to peel and chop all the vegetables and whilst I was cutting carrots with the new super sharp knife Santa had left my wife in her stocking, I slipped and chopped my finger off, with blood going everywhere I had to rush to A&E.

At the same time, our neighbours had eaten some bad salmon from the night before and had terrible food poisoning. This left Novy on her own with no help to cook the turkey, set up the long table needed for 50 guests and welcome them all as they arrived. In typical fashion with her beautiful smile, she managed to achieve all this even though she was tired and a little stressed about me, without anyone realising that anything was really wrong. As you can see from the photos she did an incredible job and everyone had a brilliant time. She is a true professional and I can see why she is in such demand as a private chef - nothing phases her!

Meanwhile, I am at the hospital and what should have been a couple of hours in and out turned into a long wait as emergency after emergency came into A&E, people being rushed in who were in a lot worse state than me. So the waiting time moved from 2hrs to 5hrs.

I noticed so many people waiting were upset, pacing around and generally unhappy at the new announcement that we would be delayed even more due to the emergencies. I could totally understand their frustrations as I had exactly the same feelings; however, at that moment, Novy sent me a picture of our guests having a brilliant time, which made me smile. I realised that even though I was disappointed that I wasnโ€™t able to be with them, it didnโ€™t matter as so many were having fun and enjoying Christmas and that we had brought a great group of people together who would always remember that special day and that was actually as important to me as actually being there.

So by the time I was seen I had been in A&E for nearly 6 hrs, then the doctor took a look and was worried I had broken some bone so I needed an x-ray, which meant a further 1hr 30mins wait, then the doctor needed to see me again which took another 30mins. So at this stage, I had spent 8hrs in A&E before they had even started stitching me up - finally, my finger got stitched back on and after 9 hrs I was able to go home at which time although the party had finished.

The good news was that Novy and I were still able to get a quick drink together at the beach bar near our home - so I still got to celebrate Christmas with my wife and our friends even though it was not quite like how I had at the beginning of the day imagined it. It will still be memorable ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

On Boxing day - feeling fresh and energetic having missed out on the Christmas festivities, I decided to join in The National Lantau Hill Climbing Challenge - a 2.2km steep uphill course with some 300m of elevation called The Beast ๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿ‘น

You can either go up by running or on a bike. Either way is tough. I decided to run up and managed to finish 3rd which I was so pleased with - winning a Polar watch in the process!

Thank you to my amazing wife Novy, our brilliant neighbours Jacques & Kenny and all who attended our annual Christmas Lunch and to the organisers of the beast! - You guys all rock โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

2 views0 comments


bottom of page